Product: Red Hat "Official" Linux for Intel
Red Hat "Official" Linux 4.0 for Intel
is a complete, advanced, easy-to-administer operating system
with hundreds of features not
found on systems costing ten times as much, including the improved
networking and hardware support of the latest 2.0 kernel, advanced
video hardware support, a Web browser, a user's guide, and
For system requirements and more detailed Information:
Retail Price: US$ 49.95
Manufacturer: Red Hat
Shipping Weight: 2 lbs.
Dimensions: 7.5" x 9" x 1.6"
Price: US$ 29
Item Code: None
No longer available: This product has been replaced by a
To see an older release of this product,
To see version 4.1 of this product,
To Order by Phone:
Call 1-800-234-7813 or 1-303-693-3321, 8am-5pm MDT.
We accept all major credit cards, and offer a 30 Day money back guarantee.
To Order by Fax or Mail:
Print this page, and fax it to 1-303-699-2793 or mail it with full information (see below) to:
WorkGroup Solutions, Inc, PO Box 460190, Aurora, CO 80046-0190
Orders also accepted via
E-Mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: For more specific and complete ordering
information Click Here,
* Please note: Red Hat Official Linux version 4.0 was formerly
assigned the part number 00103 by mistake. 00080 is the correct
Copyright ©1996 by WorkGroup Solutions, Inc. - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Product: Red Hat Official Linux for Intel
- Intel-compatible 386 or higher
- At least 8 MB RAM
- 40 MB hard disk space for character mode or 100 MB hard
disk space to install the X Window system
- CD ROM drive
- 3.5" floppy drive at a:
"Red Hat's biggest advantage is that so many of the packages
and tools require little or no configuration...
[A] sophisticated and commercial release of Linux"
- Infoworld Magazine
Red Hat Linux allows your PC to function effectively and reliably for
advanced computing tasks ranging from setting up an Internet Web
or FTP server, Intranet applications, research work, software
development, even advanced computer game playing.
Easy to Install and Manage
With the RPM(TM) packaging system and the
modular kernel, installation of an operating system has
never been easier. Simply choose one or more configuration
options, and your installation can be used for the following:
High-level graphical tools save time and effort in tailoring
your system to your needs. The set of tools covers configuration
of TCP/IP, PPP, SLIP, filesystems, users and groups, software
packages, and more.
- C and C++ Development
- Anonymous FTP/Gopher Server
- News Server
- Network Management Workstation
- Dialup Workstation
- Game Machine
- X Window System
- Web Server
- Print Server
- NFS Server
- Networked Workstation
- DOS/Windows Connectivity
- Multimedia Machine
- TeX Document Formatting
- Or use the manual configuration option to install and configure your
Linux computer to your needs.
The RPM packaging system, a growing Linux standard, makes
upgrading and maintaining your system painless and worry-free.
New "package dependencies" eliminate guess work and prevent
major system failures when installing, upgrading, and uninstalling
Advanced System and Network Security Features
The flexibility of the RPM system helps make Red Hat Linux one
of the most secure operating systems available. Almost as soon
as security problems are found on the Internet, Red Hat Software
releases new or updated packages to cope with the new threat,
saving you time and reducing the possibility of compromise.
Release 4 of Red Hat Linux supports standard "UNIX" password
authentication, as well as "shadow" passwords for additional
security. The Pluggable Authentication Module (PAM) system allows
additional authentication methods to be written and dynamically
added to the system to support your special security needs.
Upgrade from Previous Releases
Because Red Hat Linux Release 4 is built with advanced RPM
technology, your system will never become obsolete. As new
releases become available you can upgrade any or all of
your components to the newest versions using a simple upgrade
program that does all the work for you. Users of Red Hat Linux
releases 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0.3 (Picasso) can upgrade to release
4 simply and safely.
Powerful Web Browser
Official Red Hat 4.0 includes Red Baron, an advanced full-
featured web browser that downloads and manages the latest
web pages faster with support for all the latest web features.
Red Baron is based on the latest Spyglass technology and
features SSL and SET support so your web transactions are
Software Included With Red Hat Linux
Note: with the exception of the Metro-X server and the
Red Baron browser, all this software is also included in
The 2.0 Linux Kernel
- True protected-mode multitasking
- ELF shared libraries
- Virtual memory, flat memory model
- Full complement of TCP/IP protocols
- Modular hardware drivers for flexibility
- Ethernet, PPP, SLIP, NFS
- Network firewalling, Network aliasing (virtual hosting)
- Reads DOS and OS/2 filesystems
- C, C++, Objective C, Pascal, Assembler, Fortran, Basic
- Perl, Python, Tcl/Tk, LISP, Scheme
- Debugger, debugging malloc() library
- Red Baron, Spyglass-based advanced web browser
- Arena browser, FTP, and Gopher clients
- High performance HTTP (Web) and FTP servers
- Sendmail SMTP server and client
- Many email clients, MIME support, etc.
X Window System
- PPP and SLIP
- X/Y/Z modelm protocols
- Terminal programs for dialup connections
- X11R6, both Free86 and Metro-X Servers
- Runs in 8, 16, and 24 bit (TrueColor) modes
- Resolutions up to 1680 x 1024
- Many graphical development libraries
- Image viewers for JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, etc.
- MPEG, AVI, and QuickTime video viewers
- Supports most SoundBlaster compatible sound cards
- Image manipulation, retouching, and paint programs
- TeX, LaTeX, groff text formatting systems
- PostScript, PDF, and DVI previewers
- Supports all PCL and PostScript printers
- Arcade games, strategy games, flight simulators, and many more
- Screen savers
What is this Linux stuff anyway?